Strength, courage, and resilience are attributes women have in great abundance when confronted with some of the worst circumstances that life has to offer, concludes female empowerment expert and entrepreneur Connie Rankin in her new book, God Gave Us Wings: A Journey to Success: Theirs, Mine, and Yours. The Morgan James book, published last month, has already reached Amazon #1 Best-Seller lists in the Christian Business and Professional Growth categories.
God Gave Us Wings features the compelling stories of nine very different women whom Rankin interviewed and drew inspiration from as well as her own story of how she overcame childhood injury, abandonment by her father and even homelessness to become a commercial realtor, entrepreneur and founder of Bridge Literacy Now, a nonprofit dedicated to improving the lives of women and children.
It is Rankin’s desire that all women identify their own hidden strengths as they overcome their fears that hold them back. Rankin’s inspiring women include:
- Oprah Winfrey’s improbable story of overcoming a horrific family life to become a media queen.
- Keo Chan, a Laotian girl who traveled over 10,000 miles to find her life’s purpose.
- Sue Pistone, who prevailed over verbal and emotional abuse and health challenges to become a sought-after motivational speaker.
- Ileana Leija, a real estate professional who escaped three generations of abuse.
- Kendra Coleman, a Southern girl who risked her life by serving in the army.
- Donna Fujimoto Cole, president and CEO of Cole Chemical & Distributing, Inc., who fought for equality.
- Latasha Howell, who was determined to stop decades of poverty, abuse and teen pregnancy.
- Deborah Duncan, a black woman from a military family who moved beyond 1960s discrimination and tight finances to become an award-winning talk show host in Houston.
- Donna Vallone, an Italian-American who beat breast cancer, and is now an advocate of early detection.